Monday, August 5, 2013

Aliens & Voodoo Dolls: a Mold and Resin tutorial

 "The Halloween Crafting Season has Begun"

 It has been a month since my last post and, besides enjoying the last few weeks of summer vacation with trips to the Bay Area, I have been busy building up my skills in molding and casting objects in preparation of the Halloween crafting season!! I do love Christmas, but am a little obsessed with Halloween - with the history, folklore and superstitions that surround this holiday, it is a free-reign field day for my imagination to run wild and challenge myself to try new mediums and create props and decor on a much larger scale.

 I decided to share one of my projects and the details for those that are starting out with molding and casting as I am...I have fallen in love with the process and have gone a little crazy since this project in that each project is larger then the next as I get a little more comfortable with the process.....

 

Mold Putty & Resin:

            

Here we go:


...in case it is hard to read, here is a list of ingredients:

* Mold Making Putty (see pic below)

* Epozy Resin Mix

*Mold Release Conditioner

* Items to be molded

* Wax paper to save your countertop

* A popsicle stick

* 2-3 clear plastic cups

 

The brand of mold putty I used - purchased at Michaels

 

On we go:

                        To make your mold from the item you have chosen: 


**Begin mixing together, you have 2 mins tops to mix and apply to the mold before the compound begins to set.



 


Now for our resin casting:

                ** Don't forget to apply release to your mold **

   FYI:

 Some molds may not necessarily need a mold release, but I always use the spray release anyway to be on the safe side - after losing a cast or two that would not come out of the mold, I decided I would play it safe from then on!















Forgive the misspell: corrected "Disappear" :)





These and many other Magnets, Keychains and Necklaces will be available in my Etsy Shop shortly!!

Thanks for checking out this tutorial. If you have any questions or comments, just enter them below and I'll get right back to you!!

Till Next Time,

      Wicked jypsi


No comments:

Post a Comment